Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Last Time


We never know when it will be the last time
life changes midstream eddies and we are thrown
headlong from our plan into the water of chance

We never know when it will be the last time
the last time we will hear our mother's voice
before silenced forever

the last time we will kiss someone
before their love walks out the door

the last time we will see a street
a beach, a city, a park

the last time we will sleep alone
or cry in the dark

but I know this is the last time
because it is now the first time

the first time I can see my future
the first time I can open my eyes
the first time I can hold out my palms, upturned, and feel safe
the first time I have ever felt this way
the first time I have known with absolute certainty

that you have loved me for the last time
that you have hurt me for the last time
that you have had me for the last time
and that I am no longer yours

I am mine
For the first time



No comments:

Post a Comment